Work with Widgets
Changing widgets on a page or moving them around is specific to Clearvale Enterprise.
Each element on the page is a widget. For example, the Blogs block and Network Activities block are widgets. To move these widgets around on the page, or add or delete other widgets, click Edit Layout to display the Widget Gallery. You can drag and drop the widgets from the Widget Gallery onto the page.
- To move a widget from one column to another, drag the widget where you want it.
- To add a widget to one of the columns, find the widget in the Widget Gallery and drag the widget to the desired column.
- To delete a widget from a column, drag the widget from a column back into the Widget Gallery.
Click the icon to move the widgets.
Click Save when done.
Note the following:
- Only the Network Owner or Administrator can change the widgets of the Network page.
- Network Owners, Administrators, and Moderators can update the widgets on any community page.
- Community owners can change the widgets on their own community pages.
- All members can change the widgets of their personal page (click My Page tab).
- The exact widgets that you see in your network may vary from what is described in the online help. Your network administrator may have chosen to hide some network functionality, such as blogs, forums, or polls. As a result, you will not see the widgets related to that functionality. (See Customizing Network Settings for information on changing network features.)
When you place a widget on a page, you may need to configure it to suit your needs. Configuration settings include changing the title that appears above the widget, determining who can see the widget, controlling how many items appear in the widget, and so on. Each widget has slightly different configuration settings, but the settings mentioned in the following procedure are common to many widgets.
To configure a widget
- Click the EDIT link in the upper-right corner to display the configuration settings.
- Enter values for the widget settings. The following settings are standard for many widgets:
- Number of items to display. This setting determines how many entries appear in the widget. For example, if you are configuring the Files widget, the value you select for this setting determines how many files appear in the widget at one time. If there are more files than the number selected, people can click the More link at the bottom of the widget to see all the files available to them.
- Title. This is the text that appears above the widget. By default, the title is usually the name of the widget, Blogs, Forum, and so on. Change the titles to make them specific to the content that appears in the widget.
- Privacy. This setting determines who sees the widget:
- Me. Use this option when you are publishing content and you are not ready for network members to see the content (maybe it is in a draft state). Only you will be able to see this content when you are logged into Clearvale. If you set a widget’s privacy to Me, the network owner, administrators, and moderators still see the item. For example, if you are a network administrator and set a widget’s privacy to Me, the owner and moderator will still the widget and its contents.
- Network Members. Use this option to let all network members see the content.
- General Public. This option is only available when your network allows non-logged-in users to see content. Use this option only for content that you are comfortable with anyone seeing. If you are publishing content that requires network membership to view, set the privacy to Network Members instead of General Public.
- Display content after main page loads. This setting determines how the page displays. No is the default value and gives you the best performance. However, you may find you want to set this to Yes if you have a widget that is time-consuming to display. By setting this to Yes, the rest of the page displays, and the slow widget is rendered last.
- For information on the other settings for each widget, see the online help for the specific widget.
Click Save when done.